Growing up I didn’t care too much about birthdays. Believe it or not, I feel awkward about being the center of attention. I’m extremely anxious and self critical (Typical Virgo) and I’m very much an introvert. As I grow older I appreciate the ways in which my life is now better than ever, and I count the tough times as lessons that needed to be learned in order to become the person that I am today.
It hasn’t always been easy, Growing up with an absent father and a toxic relationship with my mother (who to this day forgets my birthday) I felt very, very alone. I had no self confidence, no self worth and I allowed people to walk all over me. I did things to purposely self sabotage, I didn’t stand up for myself and for some time in my life, I wanted to die.
Looking back I don’t recognize who that person is. Looking back I wish I could have told myself that it would all be ok. Looking back I wish I would have known that I was worthy of love, that I was beautiful, strong and people did care about me. Looking back I list the important lessons that life has taught me in the last 26 years.
- Be careful with who you confide in
- Don’t be a doormat
- Allow people to love you
- Communicate how you feel
- Don’t self medicate with drugs or alcohol
- Trust your gut instinct
- Cut out toxic relationships
- Stop apologizing all of the time
- Be kind to yourself
- Spend your money wisely
- Don’t get cheap tattoos
- Drink water in between alcoholic drinks
- Put coconut oil on everything
- Use a good shampoo
- Look after your mental health
- Don’t stay in a job if it makes you sad
- Don’t spend time with people who make you feel bad about yourself
- Don’t let other peoples opinions change you
- Open a savings account
- Don’t act out of anger
- Think before you speak
- Get sexual health check ups
- Be open minded about things you don’t understand
- Have your own opinions
- Don’t follow the crowd
- Make time for the people you care about
Do you have any questions or blog ideas? Leave a comment below or visit the contact page to get in touch!